The Woman’s Exchange movement began in Philadelphia in 1832 as an effort to help women gain financial security by providing an opportunity to sell their handiwork on consignment in a retail environment.
The Woman’s Exchange in Memphis was founded in 1885 and newspaper accounts published in 1885-1900 commend its value to the community. Today, the Exchange continues the tradition of ”helping others to help themselves” by showing and selling the handwork of hundreds of local consignors and employing highly skilled local seamstresses to make the signature infant and children’s clothing for which the Woman’s Exchange has become famous.
Prospective consignors may contact the shop manager during working hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
The Woman’s Exchange operates with a 96% volunteer staff of 350 members. We welcome women of the community to join our organization, which is one’s of Memphis’ longest continually operating non-profits. Please feel free to call or email for about our volunteer opportunities.